As a dog hiker & walker I have to be prepared for anything, and thus I have to carry a lot of gear. I’ve gone through several different packs, and a lot of back pain, to find the right system for my day to day. People often approach me and ask me what I’m carrying around in my pack, so I thought I would layout exactly what I carry around all day!
Click on an image to enlarge and see what’s what!
A few things I would like to note:
- I keep a full size first aid kit for dogs and humans in my car.
- I carry the full fanny pack for long treks, and the smaller blue one for dog park trips and shorter neighborhood walks.
- The dog deterrent spray is for dog attacks/fights only. Please educate yourself on this spray before using it.
- My full sized fanny pack has two water bottle holders. I will sometimes leave one empty to carry full poop bags in.
- I like to keep paper and a pen around in case I need to write myself or others notes. I like to limit my phone use while out on Adventures so I can focus on the dogs and prolong my battery life for any emergencies that may arise. (the portable charger only holds so much juice!)
- Bandanas make dogs look cute, but are also great to soak in water on hot days! They can also be used in first aid emergencies, or any instance where you might need a rag.
- Packs differ in cold weather by adding gloves, headgear, extra socks, hand warmers, yak tracks, and snow booties for some dogs. In hot weather I carry two water bottles with ice added, a bandana for each dog and one for myself, sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses.
- You don’t have to carry a pouch around to collect trash and glass. It’s just something I do as a way to give back to the dog community.
I like to keep my packs stocked and ready for Adventuring at the drop of a hat! It’s also helpful for overnight trips. Just have to grab his bed and food and we’re off!
I would also like to give a quick shout out to everyone who helped make these packs! Thanks to City Thrift for having an old park ranger’s fanny pack for $8, thanks to Humane Society Thrift for selling the treat pouch for $1, to Sticker Mule for making some incredible stickers and magnets, Moo for always making the best quality business cards, and of course Amazon for selling first aid kits, portable dog bowls, and an endless supply of poop bags for super cheap! Shop local, but also don’t throw your money away! Most dog supplies get lost or damaged.